*

*

Saturday, June 4, 2011

June 4th

Today on June 4th my bro in law Blake is graduating from the University of Washington dental school! This means that he and Ali and their girls will soon be on their way HERE for ortho school, which is a very exciting blessing! They arrive Monday. So this June 4th is a happy day.

Three years ago on June 4th I got the strangest call from Tyler at work, he was sitting out in his car in the parking garage horrible pain, and soon found out he had appendicitis! That night about 11pm, after spending the entire evening at the ER, he went in for surgery. We had no family in town, I sat alone in the waiting room and my kids were at a friends. We became very homesick for family support and decided a few months later to put our house on the market and try to move to Utah (never happened).

Seven years ago on June 4th my dad went in for a routine surgery to remove the bothersome mass that had been identified on x-ray in his left lung. Tyler and I happened to be in town in Mesa visiting my family (we were in Denver then) and became concerned when the one hour surgery became a three hour surgery and we hadn't heard from mom. She returned home late that night looking like she had seen a ghost and we all knew our worst fears had been confirmed. It was cancer. They'd taken the whole lung and found it also in his lyphnodes. Stage 4. They gave him 6-9 months.

In a way June 4th was the day my dad died and most certainly the day my family was changed forever. So I reflect upon him and that time every year on this day.

It's good to be celebrating something positive this year (thanks Blake!) Life has a remarkable way of rolling on... And isn't that what we're here for.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad



No comments: