*

*

Friday, April 24, 2009

Relay for Life


I spent an hour blogging yesterday, but there is still one thing more I wanted to post about which is my Relay for Life event which is tonight!! Several weeks ago I decided to join a relay team in support of a friend who is battling lymphoma and also to remember my sweet dad. Many friends and family were very generous with their donations to the American Cancer society, under my name and for our entire group. THANK YOU!! As a team of 23 girls, we have earned over $4,200 so far which will help researchers as they explore new cancer prevention techniques, treatments and hopefully a CURE (and sooner, rather than later!)

As I said, tonight is the big night we have been working towards. The event is held at a high school track with all of the teams camping out along the inside ring on the football field. It begins at 6:00pm goes all night long until tomorrow at 6:00am. We start with a survivors lap and then take shifts as a team walking the 12 hours. Since our team is so large we each only end up walking an hour with a friend, and I will be walking from 8:30-9:00 tonight and 5:30-6:00 tomorrow morning. From 9-10 it is the luminary walk where they line the track with engraved luminaries of the names of people who are being remembered or honored (so cool). There are some big corporate sponsors like Papa Johns Pizza who will come and deliver pizza to everyone at mid-night, and there will be music and activities going on throughout the night. I am looking forward to it.
So thank you again aunts, uncles, parents, in-laws and friends who have contributed to this for me. Cancer is definately something that touches everyone's lives in some sad way. And I am happy to be doing something to fight it!
Click here to visit my site, and make a donation if you want to. It's not too late - yet!

1 comment:

Wendy said...

You are truly amazing and I am sure you are still recooping after all the sleep you lost that night. I am always impressed how involved you are in a huge variety of things. Go Anne!