*

*

Friday, March 12, 2010

Adrenaline filled Afternoon

I write this in my blog with the purpose of remembering this event so that I can share it with Jacob someday - like when he becomes a father.

On Wednesday he and I took a lovely afternoon nap together. About the time I needed to go pick Luke and Ashley up from school I woke up and stirred jake, telling him we needed to go soon. He was out like a light. So I got up, put on my shoes, grabbed my keys and returned to his bedside stating that he really needed to wake up so we could go. He began to moan and uttered "I'm so tired". So I, knowing that the kids had already begun walking home and that I would only be gone five minutes, asked "do you want to stay in bed or come with mommy?" He didn't respond. So I jumped in the car and left.

Minutes later I pulled into the driveway with the kids, walked into the house and immmediately noticed that the front door was left wide open! Without another thought, I booked it out front with frustration and fear pouring over me. I knew he had gone.

Long story short, I took off toward the school which is about a 1/4 mile from here (picture one lap around a track). I walked with a feverish pace, hoping that I was going in the direction he had gone. Along my way I came across two boys from church who stated that they'd just seen Jake going to the school. I took a razor scooter from one of them and scoootered myself faster than ever before... all the while cursing at myself and the situation.

By the time I reached the school the place had emptied out, the crossing guards were pulling their signes out from the middle of the road and most of the cars had gone. I started to freak even more.

THANKFULLY, within a minute or two from that moment I heard "Sister Hillstead!" It was one of my sweet little cub-scouts who had seen Jake alone and stayed with him!! His sister was IN THE SCHOOL following Jake around while he took her on a wild goose chase looking for me! I was so happy and grateful for those kids to have seen a need and volunteered themselves!

I had a serious talk with Jake (our 100th I think on this topic) and even tried to scare him a bit about the dangers of bad guys taking him home to their house if he walks places without me. He seemed willing to consider it.

He had made it all the way from home to the school (crossed the street!), barefooted, with blankie in hand and was inside the school looking for me! I still can not believe it.

4 comments:

The Spence Family said...

You left out the part about Jake telling you that you didn't need to worry because those kids were babysitting him or how if a bad guy took him he would just put them in time out! He is such a character, a cute one. I just wish I had a picture of you on the razor scooter!

Cheryl said...

Scary! It is so nice to have great kids to help out. When David first started kindergarten, he got so scared riding home on the big bus, that he started to cry. JJ Merrell recognized him (though we had only been in the ward a short while and they hadn't even moved into the neighborhood yet) and sat with him every day on the bus after that and would always wait at the bus stop with him if I was let. I will always love him for that!!!

chloe said...

I'm not a parent, but doesn't it seem like three might just be a little young to really understand the concept of "bad guys" especially for sweet Jake who is so comfortable with other people? It's just the same thing happened to a woman I know this week who was only going to be gone for a few minutes (her daughter is actually four) and she told her not to answer the door no matter what, but she did anyway.

I think I might just be super paranoid because I'm always watching nieces and nephews, so as the aunt, I think I just feel extra nervous.

The important things is that Jake's okay and it is nice that you guys live in such a good neighborhood.

Jana said...

Woah girl! That was a close one. I can't wait to be around that little guy again! Love you!