*

*

Monday, April 2, 2012

happy, even with sweaty armpits

This was one of those weekends when my adopted personal mission statement really spoke to me. It's a quote from Sister Hinckley, which I love for the perspective it gives:

“I don't want to drive up to the pearly gates in a shiny sports car, wearing beautifully tailored clothes, my hair expertly coiffed, and with long, perfectly manicured fingernails.
I want to drive up in a station wagon that has mud on the wheels from taking kids to scout camp.
I want to be there with a smudge of peanut butter on my shirt from making sandwiches for a sick neighbors children.
I want to be there with a little dirt under my fingernails from helping to weed someone's garden.
I want to be there with children's sticky kisses on my cheeks and the tears of a friend on my shoulder.
I want the Lord to know I was really here and that I really lived.”

This weekend I was able to help a friend do her garage sale; I baked and sold dozens of cinnamon rolls to raise money for relay for life; I had an opportunity to feed dinner to the homeless on Friday night; I played at the park with my kids and pushed my baby on the swings; I did dishes, swept up piles of flour, drove around taping "Sale!" signs to poles, changed diapers, wiped faces, and worked in the yard, enjoying every minute of what we have left of nice weather. And, I got to listen to General Conference in between and around it all - which was probably what helped everything come together and make sense!

I know I didn't look very good this weekend and I probably didn't smell good most the time, but, man, I felt good! These experiences being able to get my hands dirty helping my family, friends and strangers are what life is about. This is the real secret to true happiness: service. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you Anne!! You have always been up for anything and I swear, every time I talk to you or hear about you you are doing something for someone ELSE. Such a good example to me about being a true, selfless friend and that is why you are SURROUNDED by people that love and adore you! It's true!

Kyle said...

Wowza! You have been busy! I haven't looked at your blog in a while...and I just want to say... love your haircut! So cute! I can't believe how much Claire brings your family together...she is a perfect mix of the 3 other kids! And I miss you!!!!