*

*

Saturday, February 28, 2009

Caution: Contents Under Pressure








Don't ask me how, but I do believe I caught the chicken in my pressure cooker on fire the other night. Normally I throw a frozen chicken breast or two in the cooker and they are ready to be shreaded up for dinner about 8 minutes later and it is so cool, but this night something wasn't normal. I don't know what went wrong but the pressure cooker was steaming weird and when I tried to cool the lid with cold water the pressure indicator would drop, but then go right back UP! So I knew their was a heat source coming from inside the pressure cooker - and since it smelled like fire, I figured it could be!!

So I thought of my friend Beth whose kitchen caught fire not long ago and I was determined to prevent that so I carried the thing with hot pads out front and set it on the cool concrete. At that point I got my camera because I wanted proof to show Tyler that all this really happened and I took pictures of myself spraying the hot pot with the hose!!

Finally the pressure indicator dropped down and stayed down so I knew the thing was cooler inside and was safe to open up. Right about then was when Tyler pulled up front and we laughed when I told him what was going on. Upon opening up the pot, this is what we found. Disgusting! And we dinner ate out at Quiznos not too long after.

I still don't know what happened and but I do know that I hope it doesn't happen again next time. Gross! Charred Chicken!

8 comments:

bethiepoos said...

anne

you are soo calm under pressure , I cant believe you were happily snapping away! I would have been screaming down the street for help! Oh I still have nightmares about that day! and kyle still draws orange scribbles around every picture he draws!!

Ali said...

hilarious. hilarious.

Jamie said...

Sounds like something I would do?!? I hate you for wearing shorts and going to Spring Training Games. It snowed today.

kendall said...

anne, is your life EVER boring? if it's not one thing its another...glad no one was hurt! when are you going to blog pics of your burned hand from your last kitchen mishapp?? glad quiznos is nearby! love you anyway, mom

Jill said...

Maybe you better takes some cooking classes from a professional on pressure cooking. I would hate for you to blow up your new home!

natalie said...

that's hilarious--and i'm glad nothing bad happened. way to solve the problem and at the same time documenting it! can't wait to see you guys in a few weeks. we booked our plane tickets yesterday! we're so excited! disneyland here we come!

Melissa said...

Hey, I caught my toaster oven on fire the other day, so I'm right there with ya!

Kyle said...

I have a pressure cooker and I never use it because I am afraid of it...seriously! Maybe we should take a class :)