*

*

Friday, October 28, 2011

Week in California

I'm wrapping up my week in California, still lying in bed in my flannel pjs and thinking about all the people I love who've I gotten to spend time with. And who I get to fly home to and see this afternoon.

The best part of this vacation has been the chance to see how some of my loved ones live. I've loved stepping away from my own world into theirs to see their homes, children, schedules, habits and towns. Everybody lives an interesting and wonderful life!

Jana was also on vacation away from her family and it was great to see that her man, like mine, was home carrying the weight and doing a great job with the kids (we'd both get pics and messages on our phones which was fun). Each morning and night she and I would be on the phone telling kids we love them and hearing from our men that all was well despite our absence! We loved getting to sleep in and bop in and out of the car child and car seat free. It's really nice to get out on our own. I love her and so appreciate time together with my Jana!


Deedee is living the good life as a new mama. Her darling girl is sweet and precious and dare I say easy. She is on a great little schedule and came along on all our outings without a fuss. DeeDee's home is relaxing, I loved the calm feeling and the sunny patio out back. One morning we walked a few minutes to downtown Campbell, a charming tree lined street with fun shops and good food, and I kept thinking DeeDee is in a perfect place for her. Honestly, these people live in a vacation destination.





One day we drove a half hour to Santa Cruz to the beach. We met up with DeeDee's big sister Michelle and her beautiful daughter. They were fun to catch up with and learn from too. So fun to see how differently, yet similarly we live all spread out across this country now. Again, I felt like they are in a perfect town for them and I loved how gorgeous the air, weather and beach was!







Jana left to go home a day before me. I got to stay and visit with my aunt, uncle and cousins who live about 10 minutes from DeeDee. I've visited here with them several times in my life, back when I was a kid and came to see grandma, when I was in 8th and 10th grades with my friends, and then with Tyler right after we got married. It had been 11 year since I was here and lots has changed but so much is the same!

We went by kristin's church where I used to be a visitor in primary to plan for her halloween party this weekend, drove by grandma Goesch's old house and by my mom's high school. Then we shopped at a cute candy store in down town Los Gatos. Kristin has lived in this area all her life and I'm not sure she's got reason enough to ever move! Such a cool place.

For dinner we met up with Joe, Sam and Tanya at one of their favorite pizza joints. It was good. I went to see Tanya's apartment with her afterward, and again, loved getting a glimpse into the way she lives. A quiet, neat place all her own. White couches, white down bedding, candles.... I was struck by the idea of living alone, sleeping when and how long you want, doing what you want when and how.... a far cry from my life... ;)






I feel so rested and renewed after these days away from my house. I think it is important for me to step away from life like this once in a while to reflect upon the way I'm doing things and my relationships. I come away from my time with a greater appreciation for how sweet life is and how blessed we all are. I have new ideas and fresh ways of thinking.

I'm looking forward to hugging my sweet husband and holding my cute baby and welcoming the gang on bikes home from school this afternoon. The chaos will unfold around me in minutes as I pull goodies from my suitcase and hear everyone talk about the last few days all at once. I'll get busy making dinner and thinking about the tasks ahead, but I'll know I'm home, that I've been missed and that I'm right where I should be.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

3 comments:

DeeDee said...

Oh I got a little tear reading your Post. What a great trip it was... I just adore you, Anne, & already miss you. Great pics.... Send them to me in an album. Ps - I don't think that much cleavage has ever appeared in your blog. Yikes!!!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post! So thoughtful and sweet. Glad you had such a great getaway!

Jana said...

Love you, Miss Anne. That was such a great trip! I am glad to see the rest of your time was peaceful and fun.