*

*

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Jill's 40th Birthday FUNeral

I came up with this poem for my BF's 40th Birthday:

Mark your calendars for a day that's big!
Jill's having a birthday and we're throwing a dig!

A girl who loves family, running and Grant
"I cannot be 40!" has become her new chant.

On top of the hill, and over she goes
Where she'll stop rolling, nobody knows

So we thought it'd be fun to do something early
A FUNeral of sorts, for this lively, bright girlie.

Let's bring flowers for gifts, come dressed all in black,
Shower her with love while she lies on her back.

Its a Surprise! At her house: January 28
6pm, don't be late, the guest of honor can't wait.


Here are the pictures of how it all turned out (hilarious!):
Her husband took her to dinner while her kids and I and some friends decorated their house like a funeral home. We lined up chairs in the family room and put photos of her throughout her life and flowers in vases all over the place.
Her husband and son had made a coffin out of a giant box and we had it on the driveway waiting for her when they arrived home. All the men in the group acted as pallbearers and carried her in. I about died laughing and so did she - she was mortified!
Everyone came along single-file for her "viewing" and said hello to her while she laid in the box. By now she was playing along nicely.
Then we spent about 20 minutes sharing stories about her and telling what we love most about Jill. It was really sweet what everyone had to say.


Then she got up out of her coffin and enjoyed being alive for her next 40 years (at least!).

1 comment:

Jill said...

My 40th party for such a surprise and so much fun! Thanks to a great family and lots of great friends for throwing me a surprise party. I cherish you! I love ya! JIll