*

*

Saturday, August 22, 2009

Fresh & Easy

I guess "Fresh & Easy" is the theme of my new life, as well as my new favorite place to grocery shop! With Luke and Ash having started school last week my life is feeling different in so many ways. Our mornings are very calm and smooth and the kids are able to get their list of things done before they head off. Because school doesn't start until 9:00, they can watch some TV and relax and then we have breakfast together, read scriptures and have prayers. We get them ready, their rooms clean, lunches, etc and we head out to walk them over to the school. It is of course unthinkably hot, so I don't usually shower until after I walk them (and most days until after 4:00 when I've gone to pick them up!) so then Jake and I head over to the gym together. Often, we swing through Dunkin Donuts on the way out of the parking lot because it sits next door to LA Fitness - and tempted as I am I don't treat myself, only him to his favorite, strawberry frosted.

We're in a lot of playgroups and keep busy every morning. And every afternoon from about 1-4 he takes a nice, long nap in his dark, cool room in the basement. It's heavenly for both of us.

So with my new found alone time during nap and freedom to shop around more and experiment with new things (only having one to tote around) I am trying to use the sewing machine everyday to do something, even something little (I need practice) and I'm also recommitted to feed our family better. Last Sunday I literally hit a wall with all the simple white carbs we were living off of (Bisquick) and I about threw up. I sought the wisdom of a good, wise friend on Monday and have since been eating so much better, cooking better and shopping better - and as I said my new favorite grocery store is Fresh & Easy - because it really is both of those two things! For those who haven't tried the place, do. And for those who don't have one close it's too bad because they are cool. They are small, about the size of a walgreens and have everything you'd like to get in healthy, quick form. Best of all, the prices are good! Really.

So the food blog I am liking is my friend Jenna's - www.just-cook-already.blogspot.com - check it out (thanks, Jenna). Tonight I made her sweet potato fries and dip and I have big plans to try lots of new things this week. In fact, most of the stuff I was buying at Fresh & Easy was stuff I rarely to never have purchase in our whole marriage. Sad but true.

So I am feeling good about things. Trying to lose a few so that I can get back into the majority of my shorts which have sat unworn all summer... and just wanting to feel better overall. It's nice to have time to work on it and think about it more than usual.

So with that. Goodbye. I'm going to go slip into something a little more comfortable (pushed the shorts today and am sitting with them unzipped now) and watch 17 again. Seen it?

9 comments:

bethiepoos said...

I love that store too!! and they have the BEST flowers, and ooh so cheap!

J & J said...

okay it just made my day that you look at my recipe blog. i am so happy! and i'm so glad that you're finding recipes that you like off of there. we've got lots of contributers, so that always makes for a pretty good mix. good for you anne. way to be. you rock.

alison huston said...

I swear, I alone keep the Fresh & Easy off Queen Creek rd. in business. I LOVE their fruit an veggies. Mmm, now I'm craving grapes and apples right now.

Jill said...

Thanks for sharing your friend Jenna's blog with me. I am going to fix the honey lime enchiladas tonight for the Brown family. I can't wait to make the Pesto sauce and the artichoke lazagna. Tell your friend to keep the recipes coming! Hurray for healthy cooking.

Zach and Katie Hillstead said...

you life sounds blissfully wonderful right now....all your hard work has paid off!! i wish we had a fresh and easy, i love stores like that. i need to eat better myself. and 17 again is my new favorite movie. it is freaking hilarious.

natalie said...

great post. way to recommit. that's what it's all about. recommitting ALL the time :) way to go. i'm going to check out the cooking blog!

heidi said...

i love fresh and easy too!!!
you are so good with all the things you do! (i totally stole your 10cent chore idea... and it's working GREAT! thanks!) you are LUCKY to have 1 to tote around with you. HOW fun!

Leah said...

It would sure be nice if school here started at 9! I am still getting used to the early morning routine. I love your blog, you are so funny! Haven't tried Fresh & Easy yet, but gonna. And LOVED the movie 17 Again! It was good seeing you at Holly's shower, wish you were still in our ward :)

Wendy said...

All that new found freedom I hope your sewing is going well. Mine is just collecting dust in between hem and mend jobs. Someday, someday.... Sorry about the funny phone call the other day. We do need to get together and in fact, Kate asked about Ashley the other day. Let me know when you have a free play date time!