*

*

Friday, August 5, 2011

Claire is 9 months old!

Aside from being adorable, Claire has a spirit about her that draws people in. When she was a newborn my friend visited and began to cry when she laid eyes upon her lying on the couch, snuggled up in a soft blankie. Weeks later, it happened again when the same friend and I peeked in at Claire sleeping in her bedroom. She said, "My gosh Anne, this baby has the most amazing spirit about her! She brings me to tears every time I see her!"

I haven't been able to pinpoint the right word but I do feel like Claire has a grown-up/mature/understanding spirit. She seems to comprehend things and communicate with us in a most pleasing and precious way, as if she already understands. This makes her easy, as well as delightful to have around. I really appreciate and love her beyond words.

Last night was back to school night. HOT, busy, exciting, and all about the three older kids. Claire was along for the ride in the stroller, going from classroom to classroom and then taken out for ice-cream with the family past her bedtime. She was content to do it, and when we got her home and corralled everyone downstairs for teeth brushes and bed, I veered off towards Claires room to spend some time with just her.

Her sweet red head was all sweaty and curly. She'd been chewing on her little white leather shoes in the car so I took those off and rubbed her sweaty feet (its hot, did I mention?). Then I treated her to a bath (rare these days with the pool being warm as bath water...we usually just opt for that). Claire loves taking a bath - especially alone! I sat there and watched her have a good couple minutes of down time that were all about her. Splashing and sucking on the wash cloth. I love how she sits up with her legs straight out in a V for balance.

Minutes later, after she was lotioned up and jammied, we snuggled in the rocking chair. I watched her by the light of the night light loving her blankie and sucking her fingers and cuddling into me. Then she started gooing and cooing and I patted her lips with my hand so she sounded like an Indian and she loved it. We did that for a while til her eyes got sleepy and I finally laid her down.

Babies are the best. Precious beyond words. We are in love with Claire and so blessed to have her!



P.S. By way of record keeping, this month:

Claire stopped nursing, gradually weened herself
Started doing an arms straight out, fists clenched stretch when she is excited!
Had her first couple falls - out of a camping chair onto the grass and out of the stroller onto the carpet (thank heavens) - she slipped right under the tray!

No comments: