*

*

Saturday, May 3, 2008

Confessions of a Garage Saler

Since the kids were up bright and early this morning (6am) I decided to load them in the car and hit some garage sales. This is not something I do often, but we had a good time doing it! I spent only $27 and got a new wagon ($10 score), a cool toy for Jake ($5) and a doll house for Ashley ($2). My last find was the best, a Dora Talking Kitchen! This is exactly Ashley wants as a reward for not sucking her finger for ten days (we're on day five). They normally cost about $80 which would have been painful to pay since she already has a kitchen and plenty of play food, but we were going to do it in our effort to curb the habit. So I have been thinking about needing to buy that, and when I pulled up there the kitchen was. I did notice the Hispanic couple that was looking at it, seeming like they were going to get it so I got ugly. (and now I feel bad, and this is why I am writing about it...) I quickly saw that the sticker on it said $10, so I hurried to my wallet and right up to the owner and said "This is for the Dora kitchen". As she was getting my change I saw the couple pull a $5 sticker off another toy and switch it with the $10 sticker on the kitchen. I got my change. The transaction was done. Right at that moment the lady came up and said "I'd like the Dora kitchen" ... things unraveled and the lady got mad a me and said her husband had been standing by it and I just said "I didn't know", got it in the car and left.

Have I robbed the poor?? In hindsight I don't know if I would have done the same thing... I'll probably think of that couple every time Ashley plays with the dumb thing. I'm not sure it was worth it. Any thoughts?

5 comments:

Dana Christensen said...

I say all's fair at garage sales! :)

Blake Hillstead said...

if they weren't going to rip off the seller, than you could feel bad. but they don't deserve such a find since they tried to change the price. I can just see you making your transaction. good for you! Ali

Kyle said...

Okay, that is funny! I wouldn't worry about it. Probably hindsight 20/20 not your proudest moment...but hey they were going to rip off the seller plus if Ash goes that long without sucking her finger she deserves it!

Jill said...

All I have to say is you are one funny lady! I laughed thinking about you sneaking to pay before the other couple. I must win the kitchen! Good for you, they were being dishonest.

Ben and Jen Brittingham said...

Oh no, you can`t feel bad, this are standard garage sale rules! You were first PLUS they were trying to rip them off, I TOTALLY would have told on them too, but thats just me.