*

*

Thursday, April 29, 2010

She's a Trooper

If I'd have posted this last night, the report you're about to hear might have been a bit different than the one you're getting today. Today the sun is out and I am feeling happy, thankful for how well things have gone, and recognizing our many blessings. Last night I was exhausted, concerned and overwhelmed - and didn't have many pleasant things to say...

Anyway though, she did it! WE did it! Ashley was an absolute ANGEL and dealt with the proceedures and hospital stay like a pro. Phoenix Children's is the absolute greatest. In fact from here on out I am only interested in using doctors from there for my kids. It made all the difference!

Happy as can be in her new purple scrubs and with her new purple teddy they gave her!
Waiting to get started with daddy.
She traveled everywhere by wagon - so neat.

THANK YOU to all our dear family who sent cards and packages ahead of time for Ash to open there. Whenever things got long or hard, I had something special to pull out of my bag that made her feel like a million bucks. It was the best.


Tyler was my hero. Come bedtime Tuesday night I was so tired and we were in a shared room with a little one month old! Ashley konked right out, but we knew it was going to be a long night for one of us so Tyler volunteered to stay and cuddle her and sent me home to sleep. It was so nice!!

Wednesday I was back by 7am and did notice a little change in Ashley. The first day she didn't seem bothered a bit by the tube and was enthralled with everything cool that goes on at the children's hospital (art projects, movies, toys). But the second morning she was a little more touchy... and we still had yet to do some of the hardest stuff. We got through the teaching and practicing okay - poor girl. She just wanted to be left alone. But she is so sweet. I swear she is an angel dropped from Heaven.

Last night, like I said, both Ty and I were on a reserve energy tank and doing our best to rememeber everything they had taught us about safely administering the feedings through the pump. I must say, there is a lot more "fine print" associated with "feeding tube" than I ever expected. And when it's your precious child it's HARD!

She slept like a little lamb on the floor of our bedroom. The pump alarm went off four times for having a clog, which I found was only her lying on the cords. But of course, I slept lightly.


She woke up happy and headed right back to school this morning. I went with her just in case she changed her mind, but she didn't. Instead she got to be the "teacher for the morning" and led her class in the calendar, pledge, etc. for about 20 minutes without any concern for the tube taped to her cheek or what anyone else might be thinking about it. I love her so much!


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

anne i am in tears! ash is so sweet & SO BRAVE! I love the pics -- keep us all updated as much as possible! (also, saw that random comment. who asked her opinion?? ha hah). anyway, we love you. ash looks amazing and she is my new screensaver!

Ali said...

Amazing post, sis. Looks like Ashley was a total trooper! In another few days all of the pump, etc, will be so easy you could do it all with your eyes closed! Way to hang in there! I am sure the worst is over!

Shauna Hillstead said...

This is the sweetest blog about your angel Ashley. Steve and I just read it and had a tear come out when we saw her smiling in her school class -- just like she's on top of the world and nothing's going to stop her now. She is so brave -- how can anyone help but just love her!! What a blessing to have it over. You and Tyler deserve about 24 hours of straight sleep.

kendall said...

wow. you guys have been through it! what great examples.. you do what you have to do and you do it well.. love to you all, way to go ashley!

alison huston said...

It is going to take everything I have to not squeeze Ash and give her the biggest hug I can.(I won't because I'm a stranger to her, but I'll want too) She is such a sweet angel.. The last picture made me cry. She has the sweetest smile with such a great attitude. If you need anything please let me know. Your in my thoughts and prayers.

J & J said...

this post just makes me all weepy. such a sweetheart, that ashley. will you tell her we love her?