*

*

Wednesday, January 2, 2008

It's been three years...

I've been thinking a lot about my sweet dad today since tonight, about now, marks three years since he passed away. In some ways it feels like it happened yesterday because I can remember that week so vividly, but when I think about all that has happened in the time since it feels like forever.

For my friends who don't know much about what happened I want to share a little bit about this major trial/lesson/experience in my life.

On June 4th 2004 my dad went into surgery because he had been suffering from a mysterious illness with his lungs. For months prior doctors had seen "masses" on his lungs through x-rays but had done biopsies which always came back negative for cancer, so he had been treated for valley fever, was given an asthma inhaler, etc. And had only gotten worse.

So the plan was to go in, remove the irritating masses from his left lung and be done. I happened to be in town visiting my parents that day and when my mom didn't call or come home from the hospital after several hours Tyler and I felt something was wrong. Much later that evening my mom finally returned from the hospital looking like she had seen a ghost. She brought with her the worst news possible. My dad had stage 4 Lung Cancer, his left lung was covered and had been completely removed and the cancer had already spread to his lymphnodes--a bad sign. At the age of 47 he was given only 6-9 months to live. We were shocked and horrified!

Within a week Tyler had asked PwC for an immediate transfer from Denver to Arizona and I was back to spent as much time as possible with my dad. Pregnant with Ashley at the time, I chose to lay with him to talk...watch family feud...and rest with him throughout the hot summer while he suffered through chemotherapy and radiation. He was miserable, but kept his sense of humor. In fact one day while in the pool he discovered that now, with only one lung, his body tipped to the side when he floated! He liked showing that trick off.

So the 6 months mark came with Christmas and we enjoyed a wonderful family vacation to Acupulco, Mexico on Christmas day, happy to still be together and now not knowing how much longer things would last. He was doing so well... we were beginning to hope this all could possibly go away.

But the cancer progressed and he fought, and it progressed and he fought and we lived and we loved and we journaled and we video-taped, we cherished every moment for the next 19 months.

Until December 23th 2004 when I received a call from my mom while in Utah for Christmas that something was wrong. Dad was going. I caught the soonest flight I could, ran through the door at 4am and spent the next week with all of my family loving him. It was a Christmas like no other. A Christmas that no one could ever imagine. A Christmas that, in looking back, was what Christmas is all about, which is family and faith and love. But it wasn't easy.

He passed away surrounded by my mom and all of his children around 9pm on Sunday night January 2, 2005. It was the sweetest moment shared between my mom and him as they connected so tenderly just before he went. I'll never forget that.

I love my dad so much, I miss him and have found that writing this tonight was much, much more for me than for anyone else. I wanted to share the things on my mind and express my love on this meaningful night. Thanks for listening.

15 comments:

chloe said...

Anne, thanks for sharing that (even though I am now sitting in the dark, in front of my computer, bawling).

It's made me realize that I really need to write down my thoughts and my experience with my mom's death, even if it was 12 years ago. It's never too late, I suppose, to record those things.

It was so good to see you this week. Thanks for the good chat!

Rachel Anne Robbins Kuch said...

Anne, I think your family is just the greatest, really I do. I really admire all of you too. It must feel good to write out those thoughts, thanks for sharing. You guys are the best!

Melissa said...

Anne, you just made me cry. I'm so glad you got to spend that time with your dad.

Heather said...

Last night I realized tha it had been three years and I myself feel like it was just yeaterday. I hope you guys had a great day together as a family! We love you lots and hope to see you soon!

DeeDee said...

I've been thinking about you. Thanks so much for sharing that on your blog. It was nice to read and remember your dad. What an amazing man! Love you!!!

thegreatscotts said...

Anne! What a tender post entry. I didn't know much of the story so thanks for sharing. What a great family you have.

Dana Christensen said...

Thanks for sharing Anne. I'm glad I got to know your dad a little bit. He really was an amazing person!

SERAPH said...

You have a blog?! HOORAY! I'm glad that I have to way to know what's going on in your life, since I haven't seen you in like 10 years. I'm bummed that I didn't get to see you when you were up here for Christmas. What's new?

SERAPH said...

Where do you get the cute backgrounds for your blog?

Jason and Kate said...

What a sweet story! Thanks for sharing your tender feelings with us.
Kate Winsor

natalie said...

anne. wow. it was touching and heartwrenching to hear how those last months unfolded. thx so much for writing that down. we love you guys ~nat and todd

kendall said...

anne, you have a way with words, and as I sit here with tears streaming down my face, I am grateful for wonderful kids who went through that experince with us. You are a light in so many peoples lives. Dad was sooo proud of you and all you are and will become.. He always said you were more like him than me! huh! i may argue that!love you so much mom

J & J said...

anne. ugh my heart hurts. i love that entry...thanks for getting personal. it helped me realize a few things in my own life. i love your family so much. pillars of strength, that's what you all are. thanks for being in my life.

Mara Alton said...

Hey Anne, I just came across your blog spot and am so excited to see how you and your family are doing. Your children are beautiful! Thank you for your thoughts on your Dad. He will always hold a special place in my heart. If it wasn't for him I know I would no longer be here. He is such a wonderful person. I think of him every day.

Love Mara

Lisa said...

Anne, you know how much I love your dad. He told me one time that he had a special place in his heart for me. He was my favorite seminary teacher and i loved him as my bishop. I love how often the wonderful memories I have of him pop into my mind. And how often my family repeats him saying, "want some candy?" to try to get Tessa to talk to him. It was a special treat to read your thoughts on your dad. Thank you for that...and then I read your mom's comment and I must add that I hope my daughter grows to be as wonderful as you are. I am so proud of Drew for making it out on his mission. That is awesome. I love you, Lisa