*

*

Wednesday, June 4, 2008

To Eat or not to Eat

Sometimes feeding myself and children every meal every day can get old. At times I've wished for an IV drip that could just feed us at night while we sleep. This of course is because I have a couple picky eaters who take teensy bites... and it can all feel a bit tedious.

My Ashley is in a position now where she could stand to put on a few good pounds. I am working with her doctors to help her reach 30 pounds, but to do that I need to get LOTS of food into her! So I am writing with a request that you help me with some good kid food ideas. I am tired of our 'usuals' and I need healthy ideas that are high in calories, fat, whatever... just going to put the weight on.

I made bean burritos for us last night for dinner which was a no brainer, but I have never done that before and the kids (not Jake) loved them. That's a start. Hard boiled eggs, peanut butter spoons, pasta with LOTS of butter... that's what she's been eating.. and she LOVES fruits and vegetables, but that's not going to do it.

Anyway, Here's to her need to gain weight! - A problem many of us wish we had!

4 comments:

jamirclark said...

Hi, Anne. My sister-in-law is a dietician and is always telling me to add more calories to my skinny kids food. She always suggests to add powdered milk to EVERYTHING tou can, adding loads of calories and calcium (you can just add it to a single portion or more). Anyways, have you tried fry bread for meals? We make it at least once a week and top it with beans, cheese, (everything you would an indian taco) and also just plain honey. My kids LOVE it, and it is easy and fun to make With your kids. email me and I'll send you the recipe along with some others.(jamirclark@gmail.com)Good luck!

Jill said...

Turning 5 in the fall and is still trying to reach 30 pounds. What a little peanut! The best thing is peanut butter with crackers, bread, cheese. You do all these things already. You feed your kids healthy. She is happy and healthy. Except James said she wouldn't clean up and gave him a fit. She is a smart one.

Kyle said...

For a dinner idea...my kids love Hawaiian Haystacks! Have you tried that?
I so wish I had the same problem as Ash!

Lizzie said...

Will she eat smoothies? You could make her chocolate, vanilla, fruity, whatever and add in protien powder, whole milk, whole yogurt, etc. You could add agave nectar or honey for a sweetener. I can't believe how much you've been to the hospital lately. Tyler and your little girl. So sorry.

Will she eat muffins? You could make homeade muffins with whole grains and honey for sweetener and canola oil or butter.

Is she by chance allergic to dairy? Tanner and one of his friends are and when they eat it, they pretty much stop eating or eat very little. When they get off of dairy, they eat tons more food. I'm sure you've thought of all of this and much more. Just thought I'd throw it out there just in case. Good luck Anne.