*

*

Friday, October 8, 2010

Hunger Games

I just woke up - after a long, restless night's sleep - and felt amused at myself. Never have a been a huge reader, but this week I have. My friend started me on The Hunger Games Monday, and I haven't been able to set the book down. My first thought this morning as I came to was about Peeta, wondering what was going to happen to him today. Crazy.

I find it funny that the two books I've been into this pregnancy both have the word HUNGER in their titles. My mom loaned me a slow, but interesting read, Ordeal By Hunger which is a non-fiction about the Donner Party. When Ty saw that now I am reading, The Hunger Games, we got a kick out of it. Got something on my mind?! :)

It's very fun to have a great read once in a while. It's working out perfectly for me these last few weeks of pregnancy to be able to campout on the couch, or at the park bench and let Jakey just play around while I turn pages. But I can say this much for sure: my marriage wouldn't be as good if I was always into a book. Poor Ty came home last night and it was everything I could do to pull myself away from the book and chat. He kept turning off the family room lights of us to snuggle in a watch a show, and I kept wanting to flip them on again and bury my nose. Ultimately I ended up in the bath (a rarity), reading again. Then when I heard him begin to breath like he was a asleep I rolled out of bed and read a little bit more. It's not easy to sleep anyway.

But this is fun and unusual. I honestly stopped reading much when Luke and Ashley were toddlers because I found myself annoyed when they would constantly inturrupt me, or when I would look up and find them wondering off somewhere or stuck up on a high park structure. I figured my job was to be a happy, attentive mom - and reading a really good book kind-of pulls me into fantasy land a little too much.

But for now, let's see... I get my kids out the door to school in a half hour... and the park bench is already calling my name. Jake will be thrilled with another morning spent in the fresh air while I read - and I'll be able to find out what in the world Katniss is going to do with Peeta. Drempt about it all night...

No comments: