*

*

Monday, August 18, 2008

Two year olds and Poison Control

I just got off the phone with poison control. I was in the shower this morning when Jake came into the bathroom and banged on the shower door with the jar asking me to open my thyroid medicine for him. I said "No. That is yucky medicine!" He walked away and I didn't think another thing about it because the child-proof (yeah right.) cap was on. When I got out I found him happily watching sesame street with my empty pill jar next to him (luckily there were only about 10 left)! I grabbed the phone and made a phone call to poison control, and found out that he will be fine. The effects should hit him in about 5 days, with rapid heart rate, maybe a fever and increased activity. I can't believe he got that thing open!!

This reminded me of the few other times I have had to call poison control. When Luke was almost two I found him licking the top of the powdered Clorox can, he had the stuff all over his face. He was fine. And a couple months after that I saw him swallow a penny. Poison control instructed me to "mark his stool" by feeding him corn and when it came out the next day we had to check to see if the penny had come too. It had.

Thankfully prayers work. I always pray for my children's safety and rely on the Lord for help daily!

2 comments:

Jill said...

What a day! Never a dull moment in the hillstead house.

kendall said...

anne, i love the quote about going to the grave on your bolg.. can you email it to me? (i guess i could, but im too lazy to copy it.. thanks, your mamma